If you missed our Kickstarter - don't worry! You can still learn more about our story and pre-order for this summer delivery.
When we launched, we were covered by various publications. We had a lot of interest because we provide a drone design that combines VTOL and Fast Flying Wing behaviors.
A Quadcopter Plus a Flying Wing
Drones seem to be everywhere. The problem is that the vast majority of them are multi-rotors and they excel at one thing: hovering.
Hovering solves one side of the problem, but when shooting a fast subject you need speed. Without compromising precision hovering capabilities we created something fast. We created something that broke the 100 km/h barrier. Enter the X PlusOne.
At its core the X PlusOne is a revolutionary hybrid. It combines multi-rotor capabilities with high speed flight from its fixed wing. The X PlusOne feels right at home hovering with the multi-rotors or skimming the treetops at blistering speeds!
The X PlusOne is a Pro when it comes to precision stabilized hover. We designed the control algorithms so the craft remains rock solid, even in windy conditions.
Speed isn't normally associated with most of the drones out there. We changed that! Ever heard of a multi-rotor taking great aerial shots at 100 km/h? Well, now you have!
A Drone Redefined
The X PlusOne doesn't just fly around looking great (although it does), it's an aerial camera drone too! We offer the X PlusOne with an array of filming apparatus. From a simple mini DV camera to the ever-popular GoPro. Our optional stabilizing gimbal platform renders silky smooth video. The point is, we have demonstrated the engineering on this craft and it works very well.
Easy to Fly
From its inception the X PlusOne was designed with the average operator in mind. If you can fly a multi-rotor or an RC airplane, you can fly the X PlusOne. The craft self-stabilizes in both hover and forward flight modes. Transitioning between the two is a matter of simply flipping one switch. Our onboard computer and sensors manage the details.
Imagine what you could do with the X PlusOne!
How it Works
The X PlusOne takes off, hovers, and lands like a traditional quadcopter, but that's where the similarities with a multi-rotor stop. The key differentiator is this: In place of the quadcopter frame is an upward facing wing. This allows the X PlusOne to pitch over 90 degrees and fly nose-first at over 60 mph (100 km/h), twice as fast as a traditional quadcopter! Flight control is handled by varying motor speed to provide pitch, roll, and yaw control, even in forward flight mode. There are no traditional flight control surfaces on the X PlusOne. Thereby saving weight and complexity and ensuring the overall design remains clean and efficient.
- A speed demon: Need to follow a fast subject or want some super-cool flybys? The patent pending design of the X PlusOne has you covered with ultra-fast cruise mode with speeds over 60 mph (100 km/h).
- The hover ship: A stable quadcopter when you need it for tight takeoffs and landings or when shooting stills.
- Easy to fly: Stabilized in both hover and cruise modes. Auto recovery switch ensures that if you get in trouble, one flip of a switch will put the craft into auto-level hover.
- Capable for the pro: If you're already an expert, disable stabilization for amazing aerobatics, unlike anything you've ever experienced with an RC aircraft.
- Ultimate GoPro accessory: With multiple options for mounting GoPro action cameras, your inner aerial cinematographer will never be in want with the X PlusOne.
- Stable camera platform: Optimized control algorithms and an optional 2-axis brushless camera gimbal mean you get rock solid, silky smooth aerial video and stills.
- Ready to fly - and film: Ready To Fly and Film packages get you everything you need to keep up with the action. All Ready To Fly packages include the assembled X PlusOne, motors and electronics, 2.4 GHz transmitter, battery, and charger. The Ready To Film packages also throw in a micro DV or GoPro Hero camera!
- Safe: The X PlusOne is rich in safety features including Safe-Arm and Auto-Recovery.
- Dimensions: 32.5 x 19 x 14 inches
- Flying weight: 2.8 lbs
- Patent-pending hybrid quadcopter flying wing design
- Speed range: hover - 60 mph (100 kph)
- Flight time: 10-15 minutes
- Breaks down for easy transportation
- Optional 2-axis brushless gimbal for GoPro
- Optional fixed GoPro mount
- Optional fixed micro DV camera
- Optional GoPro Hero HD action camera
JD Claridge is the visionary and inventor of the x PlusOne design. He started his career at Volant Technica as an aerospace engineer and later served several years as the lead electrical engineer at Quest Aircraft. For the past few years JD has been running his own aerospace design firm.
Charles Manning is the CEO of a leading mobile analytics technology company, Kochava. An aviation enthusiast, Charles was immediately excited about working with JD to help make the X PlusOne a reality.
Key Milestones (already done)
- Inception of X PlusOne - December 2013 - DONE
- Conceptualize overall design - February 2014 -DONE
- Begin detailed design - July 2014 - DONE
- Develop 5 prototype iterations and test - August 2014 -DONE
- First flight of conforming prototype - September 2014 - DONE
- Fine tune controller software - October 2014 - DONE
- File patent application - November 2014 - DONE
- Finalize costs, develop supply chain and manufacturing capability- November 2014 -DONE
- KICKSTARTER CAMPAIGN LAUNCHED - DECEMBER 2014 -DONE!
Key Milestones (after successful funding)
- Ship laser-cut display models - January 2015
- Release final drawings and software - January 2015
- Order molded and custom components - January 2015
- Order for off-the-shelf parts - February 2015
- Secure backup supply chain - March 2015
- Molded and custom parts manufactured - May 2015
- Final assembly and testing at the XplusOne factory - June 2015
- SHIP THE X PlusOne TO ALL OUR GREAT BACKERS! - JULY 2015